Chanel Or Baume Essentiel ($45.00 for 0.28 oz.) has a transparent, balmy base with barely-there, warm gold pearl and a dewy sheen. The texture was lightweight, emollient, and very balm-like–high slip but thin, spreadable, and glossy in its finish. It had very sheer coverage, as marketed, though the effect of the pearl was slightly more noticeable in person than it appeared in the photos I took. The finish was glossy and didn’t dry down, and while it wasn’t tacky, it was a higher maintenance finish.
I preferred using a separate applicator–fingertip or otherwise–to get a more even application. It worked well on bare skin but as a little more prone to lifting up more medium and higher coverage foundations, so it may take some trial and error when working with complexion products to find a good pairing. The product lasted for six hours before moving a bit noticeably.
- NYX Crystal Glare (P, $6.99) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Cover FX Celestial (LE, ) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Natasha Denona Light (01) (P, $38.00) is more pigmented (90% similar).
- NARS Star Babe (LE, $26.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Kosas Velvet Melon (Highlighter) (PiP, ) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Who Needs Clothes (LE, $60.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- NYX Moonbeam (P, $6.99) is more shimmery, lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Becca Champagne Pop (P, $41.00) is more shimmery, lighter, warmer (85% similar).
DIISOSTEARYL MALATE | OCTYLDODECANOL | POLYBUTENE | POLYETHYLENE | VP/EICOSENE COPOLYMER | CERA MICROCRISTALLINA (MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX) | HYDROGENATED MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX | SYNTHETIC WAX | SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE | SILICA | PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE | TIN OXIDE | DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE | BHT | CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES) | CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE) | MICA | IL58A-VII
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer)
at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable
to the product you’re purchasing, or the brand or retailer’s website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.